Wednesday 2 May 2012

screen printing, with Lucie Summers

You may already know that in January this year the London Modern Quilt Guild was founded by Annie. As a complete novice to quilting (and only having received my quilting 'essentials' for Christmas I signed up to join, all eager to learn...

Little did I know just what interesting things I would learn and what fabulous people I would meet along the way. The group itself is full of talented quilters, we meet once a month at Tricolette, a wonderful yarn and quilting shop. We have had a surprise guest - Moda designer Aneela Hoey, who also had a great time and it is so much fun to be around like minded people.


The latest adventure was on Sunday: a screen printing workshop with Lucie Summers. I have wanted to learn how to screen print for years and this was the most amazing opportunity.


Seven of us went to join Lucie at her workshop in Suffolk and she patiently explained how the screens are made, showed us how to screen print and then let us loose. 


We had all designed a Quilt Label and our very own screens were ready and waiting for us. Being super keen we all dived in and Lucie shared tips, gave advice and infused us with her passion for printing. 


As the day went on, Lucie then let us use some of her larger screens for some double printing. We got to use one of her designs and once it had dried, then printed our own design over the top. The combinations are endless and the effects on different fabrics with the juicy colours are fascinating. By the end of the session we had all got to grips with the techniques and were producing some impressive fabrics. 


I have a new obsession....


We also got to see 'that' quilt - it's stunning, and much bigger than I imagined it would be. Lucie's first collection with Moda is hitting the shops right now, get some while you can.


I will be back with some KCWC updates soon - I got sidetracked.

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Sam would be very proud!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ridiculously jealous of your cool day out, stupid stupid work! See you Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day out! Your label is really great, and I love the zingy colours you used! I have now been lead down the road to Summerville, and I am sorely tempted! Have fun with your newly learnt skills.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a side track. It looks like such an amazing day out. The designs are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh how coool! I really want to give screen printing a go too!! Those fabrics and labels look GREAT!:)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, I have always wanted to do this! Looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I would love to go on a screen printing course! It looks like you had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Very colourful and jazzy.

    'hello'

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.